Friday, January 11, 2013

Overview

This trip has been a long time in coming. I lived and studied in Beijing in early 2007 and quickly discovered the joys of travel. Since then I've dreamed of dedicating a solid amount of time meandering about the continent by rail, seeing all of what Eurasia has to offer. I've just finished a semester of Chinese language studies in Chengdu and am in my last phase of preparations before I hop my first train to kick start this trip on Monday.

The goal: travel from coast to coast by rail, Pacific to Atlantic, via the Eurasian continent.

The route: Chengdu, Xinjiang, Beijing, Russia, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, London. 

The plan: post an entry (with some sample photos) every day or so that I have wifi access. 

Mostly I am set to travel. My immediate concerns though are the impending weather forecasts and plummeting temperatures. With -20 degree celsius averages in Xinjiang, I should be able to get a good taste of Siberia there and make necessary adjustments in Beijing before I head north to Mongolia and ultimately Russia.

I just payed 320 RMB ($45) for a 48 hour, non-heated, hard sleeper from Chengdu to Urumqi, Xinjiang. I leave Monday at 10.30. I could not be more excited!

Stay with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment